Inspiring Change aims to use the arts to stimulate engagement with learning and improve literacy skills among offenders in custody, and to demonstrate the potential of the arts to support the process of rehabilitation.
- Motherwell College (contracted to provide learning and skills service in 9 Scottish prisons)
- The Scottish Prison Service (SPS)
- Scottish Opera
- The Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- National Youth Choir of Scotland
- Scottish Ensemble
- Citizens Theatre
- The Traverse Theatre
- The National Galleries of Scotland
The impact of the project will be evaluated by a multi-disciplinary team of researchers from the University of Edinburgh.
The project will culminate in an exhibition and conference on the arts in prison. The exhibition will be taken on tour to local communities and will be the focus for discussions with local people about offending, punishment and rehabilitation.
The project will also be filmed and the film will supplement the final evaluation report and will document the views of prisoners, project participants and key stakeholders.