One of the best ways you can help us during these uncertain times is by becoming our Friend. Join now to support the National Galleries of Scotland and enjoy a wide range of benefits including unlimited free entry to our exhibitions and an exclusive online events programme.
Our Friends memberships
Our Friends enjoy the following benefits:
- Unlimited free entry to all of our exhibitions for one year (during public opening hours)
- 10% discount in all our gallery cafes
- See exhibitions first at Friends previews
- An exclusive events and lectures programme (currently online)
- Free entry for up to 4 family children under the age of 18
- Friends only mailings sent directly to your door
- Regular updates and special offers by email (subject to your consent)
- Free parking at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (during public opening hours for gallery visits)
Philanthropic Friends will enjoy these extra benefits:
- Priority booking for Friends events
- Invitations to selected exhibition Private Views
- An invitation to a special curatorial talk or tour each year
See every exhibition for free as our Friend
Our Friends receive unlimited free entry to all National Galleries of Scotland exhibitions. Currently all visitors, including our Friends, must book a timed ticket in advance. If purchasing your Friends membership online you will instantly be able to book your free Friends exhibition ticket. Current and upcoming highlights include:
How to Join or Renew
1. Select your level of Friends membership
Our Solo or Student Friend memberships are for one person. For our Duo or Philanthropic Friend memberships you have the option of naming two Friends cardholders who live at the same address OR a single named cardholder who can bring an unnamed guest with them when they visit. All Friends can also take up to 4 family children under the age of 18 along with them for free.
You can join or renew your own Friends membership by selecting the 'Buy Now' button for your chosen membership level. If you want to upgrade your membership, please choose a new level and we will renew your membership accordingly.
To give a membership as a gift, or to buy a membership on behalf of someone else, please select the 'Gift Membership' button for your chosen membership level. Please read the gift membership instructions below before making your purchase.
3. Enjoy your benefits
If you are buying a Friends membership for yourself online, you will instantly be able to book your free Friends exhibition ticket online too. Your welcome pack and Friends membership card will then be dispatched by post within 10 working days. Please note that delays with membership card dispatch are currently possible. If you are visiting Ray Harryhausen: Ttian of Cinema before your welcome pack arrives, you can collect a parking pass and temporary membership card from the Modern Two shop.
If you are purchasing a gift membership, a voucher will be sent to the email address of your choice on the date that you have chosen. The Friends membership will begin when the recipient redeems their voucher online, when they will instantly be able to book their free Friends exhibition ticket. Their welcome pack and Friends membership card will then be dispatched by post within 10 working days of the voucher redemption. For gifts, please read the gift membership instructions below before making your purchase. Please note that delays with membership card dispatch are currently possible.
Pay by Direct Debit
Download our form to set up a recurring annual direct debit for your Friends membership and you will benefit from a £5 discount. Print out the form, fill it in and post it to us OR contact us to have a form posted out to you.
You can also use this form to set up a Direct Debit for a Gift Friends membership. Please ensure you complete your own details, if you would like the membership pack sent to you or directly to the recipient and any gift message you would like included.
Please note that delays in dispatching forms and membership cards are currently possible.
Gift Membership - Make your friend Our Friend
Our Friends membership is the perfect gift for the art enthusiast in your life. Your friend will receive a year’s worth of benefits giving them unparalleled access to the galleries. With different options for gift voucher delivery by email, a Friends membership is the perfect choice whether you are getting organised well in advance or sorting out a last minute gift!
Please read these instructions in full before placing your order to ensure your gift is processed correctly. We are not responsible for errors or delays with gift memberships caused by a failure to follow these instructions.
1. Please select the 'Gift Membership' button for your chosen membership level.
2. Enter the date the gift voucher is to be sent. If you are sending it to your own email address, we recommend choosing today's date. If you are sending it to the recipient's email address you may wish to choose a date in the future, such as the date of their birthday or any other event that you are celebrating.
3. Enter the recipient's name in the 'To' box. This will appear on the gift voucher.
4. Choose which email address to send the gift voucher to. You can either:
- Email the gift voucher to yourself, to print out or forward on to the recipient
- Email the gift voucher directly to the gift recipient. If it is to go directly to the gift recipient, then please enter their email address in the box.
5. Enter who the membership is from in the 'From' box. This will appear on the voucher. This can be your own name, a list of several names or you may wish to enter the name by which the recipient knows you e.g. 'Mum' or describe the group who the gift is from e.g. 'Your colleagues'.
6. Enter your gift message in the 'Message' box. This will appear on the voucher. You can leave this blank if you wish.
The welcome pack and membership card will be posted out after the recipient redeems their voucher. The voucher is valid for 12 months.
Please contact us to discuss the details BEFORE making your online purchase if you wish us to dispatch a gift membership pack directly to you or the recipient rather than using an email gift voucher. Please DO NOT purchase a membership online for someone else using the 'Buy Now' options rather than the 'Gift Membership' options as the membership card will be issued in your name and not the recipient's name. Please DO NOT purchase a gift voucher and then redeem it using your own website account as then the membership card will also be issued in your name and not the recipient's name.
Over 10,000 people currently enjoy our Friends benefits.
Our Friends are important to us
Your Friends membership supports the National Galleries of Scotland’s extensive programme of exhibitions, education projects, conservation activities and acquisitions.
Our Friends have supported exhibitions such as Rembrandt: Britain’s Discovery of the Master, Bridget Riley and Raquib Shaw: Reinventing the Old Masters. We also support our range of drop-in activities for families and our Gallery Social programme for those affected by dementia. Several special commissions have been made possible thanks to our Friends such as the Portrait of James Naughtie by Brendan Kelly.
Contact the Friends office
The Friends Office staff are currently working remotely. Please contact us by email if possible.
Please note that delays in dispatching orders are currently possible.
By Post: Modern Two Lodge, 72 Belford Road, Edinburgh, EH4 3DS
By Phone: We currently have no access to the Friends phone lines. For general enquiries please call 0131 624 6200. They can also take a message to pass onto the Friends Office.