David Watson Stevenson was a successful portraitist in marble and bronze, as well as sculpting larger figure groups and public commissions. He was the son of a builder and brother of the sculptor William Grant, with whom he collaborated as DW & G Stevenson. He served an eight year apprenticeship in the Edinburgh studio of William Brodie, from 1860-8. Stevenson finished his training in Italy before returning to Scotland to assist Sir John Steell on the Prince Albert Monument in Edinburgh. He completed the groups representing Science and Learning. His most famous sculpture is the bronze statue of William Wallace, on the National Wallace Monument, Stirling.