Patrons of the National Galleries of Scotland Privacy Notice
This privacy notice explains how we will use any personal information we collect about you as a Patron of the National Galleries of Scotland.
Who we are
The Board of Trustees of the National Galleries of Scotland is the Data Controller for any personal data you give to us or we collect about you. Our full contact details are:
National Galleries of Scotland
73 Belford Road
National Galleries of Scotland is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC003728. VAT No. GB 100 1904 82
We are a data ‘controller’, which means we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use your personal information.
This notice explains how and why we will collect and use your personal information and your rights in relation to your personal information. We may amend this notice at any time. Please refer back to this page for the most recent version. You may be notified directly of any significant changes which affect you where we believe it is appropriate and proportionate to do so.
What personal data we collect
As part of your Patrons membership we may collect the following - Title, Name, Address, Telephone number, Email Address, Gender, Date of Birth, Direct Debit information, Gift Aid declaration, Donation history, Event bookings, event participations and dietary preferences. We will also collect your newsletter preferences, and your interactions with our emails (opens, clicks on links).
How we use the personal data we collect
1.Donations and Patrons membership
- It is necessary for us to process your personal data to administer your annual Patrons donation.
- We will use your title, name and address to manage your Patrons membership, and where applicable, to send you reminder mailings around the anniversary of your Patrons gift. If appropriate, we will use your name and address to comply with the legal requirement to send advance notification of direct debit payments and to claim Gift Aid.
- We will use your bank information to administer your Direct Debit and issue BACs refunds (if applicable).
- We will use your email address and telephone number to contact you about the administration of your Patrons donations. Your telephone number and email are not required for Patrons membership but are extremely helpful to ensure you receive the best level of service from us.
- We will use your title name and address to send quarterly mailed Patrons newsletters and invitations to gallery events. We have a legitimate interest in providing Patrons with mailed updates of our news and invitations to gallery events which may be of interest to you. You can opt out of receiving these mailings at any time by contacting the Patrons Office.
- We may disclose your name and address to third party mailing house providers acting on our behalf. They will only use this information in relation to our mailings. (Please see ‘Who sees your data’ for more information.)
- We will use your title, name and address to administer any events bookings you may make. We will use your email address and telephone number to contact you about the administration of your Patrons donations.
- We will use your dietary preferences when catering for events you may attend.
4. Email bulletins
- If you have given your consent, we will use your email address to send you the newsletters which you have asked to receive. We will use the newsletter statistics we record to help us monitor and improve our communications.
- We will disclose your name and email address to a third party provider to manage our email lists and distribute our newsletters. They only use this information in relation to our newsletters. (Please see ‘Who sees your data’ for more information.)
- We will only use your date of birth and gender for anonymised demographic analysis. This information is not required in order to process your Patrons donation.
- We will not sell, rent, disclose or assign your personal data to any other external organisation or individual.
Other opportunities to support the National Galleries of Scotland
We will only send you newsletters about these opportunities if you have asked to receive them. Occasionally we may send you mailings through the post about opportunities to support the National Galleries of Scotland’s other fundraising initiatives. We have a legitimate interest in marketing our fundraising campaigns by post to members and donors to increase donations. You can opt out of receiving these fundraising mailings at any time by contacting the Patrons Office on [email protected].
Duration of Patrons newsletter consent
We will continue to send you Patrons newsletters until you unsubscribe, contact the Patrons Office to cancel your membership or have not provided a donation as a Patron within the last two years. If you unsubscribe from our Patrons newsletter lists, we keep a note of this and mark your data as ‘unsubscribed’. You will never be contacted by us in this way again, unless you re-subscribe.
How to unsubscribe from Patrons newsletters
You can unsubscribe at any time. Click on the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any Patrons newsletter you have received or contact us at [email protected] and put “Unsubscribe" in the email subject line.
Who sees your data
National Galleries of Scotland is responsible for keeping the data we hold about you safe and secure. We use third party providers to distribute our mailings. We use a third party provider to manage our email lists and distribute our newsletters. Our current supplier is Mailchimp, which is based in the US. Mailchimp is signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and National Galleries of Scotland has a data processing agreement with them in place.
Your rights over the data we hold on you
You are in complete control. You can object or withdraw your consent to the use of your personal data at any time. This may mean however, that we are no longer able to provide you with a particular service or communication where the information processing is an integral part of the service. We will tell you if this is likely to be the case. Subject to some legal exceptions, you have the right:
- To access the data we hold about you and to know what we are doing with it
- To have any inaccuracies corrected
- To have your personal data erased
- To place a restriction on our processing of your data
- To object to processing
- To request your data to be ported (data portability)
If you want to learn more about these rights, please see the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website www.ico.org.uk
How to contact us about your personal data or this privacy notice
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or about your personal data, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
National Galleries of Scotland
73 Belford Road
Tel: 0131 624 6473
Email: [email protected]
As well as contacting the Data Protection Officer using the details above, you can use our Feedback procedure to make a complaint about the way we process your personal information.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the data protection supervisory authority in the UK.