Friends of the National Galleries of Scotland Privacy Notice
This privacy notice explains how we will use any personal information we collect about you as a Friend of the National Galleries of Scotland.
Who we are
The Board of Trustees of the National Galleries of Scotland is the Data Controller for any personal data you give to us or we collect about you. Our full contact details are:
National Galleries of Scotland
73 Belford Road
National Galleries of Scotland is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC003728. VAT No. GB 100 1904 82
What personal data we collect
As part of your Friends membership we may collect the following - Title, Name, Address, Telephone number, Email Address, Gender, Date of Birth, Direct Debit information, Gift Aid declaration, Subscription history, Event bookings, event participations and dietary requirements. We will also collect your newsletter preferences, and your interactions with our emails (opens, clicks on links).
How we use the personal data we collect
- It is necessary for us to process your personal data to fulfill the contract of membership purchase.
- We will use your title, name and address to manage your membership, including renewals, and event bookings and to post your Friends membership card and Friends mailings. We are unable to provide your Friends benefits without your name and address. If appropriate, we will use your name and address to comply with the legal requirement to send advance notification of direct debit payments and to claim Gift Aid.
- We will only ever use your telephone number to contact you about the administration of your membership or event bookings. Your telephone number is not required for Friends membership but is extremely helpful to ensure you receive the best level of service from us.
- We will use your email address to contact you about the administration of your membership or event bookings, and if you have given your consent, to send you the newsletters which you have asked to receive. We will use the newsletter statistics we record to help us monitor and improve our communications.
- We will only use your date of birth and gender for anonymised demographic analysis. This information is not required in order to receive your membership benefits.
- We will use your bank information to administer your Direct Debit and issue BACs refunds.
- We will disclose your name and address to third party mailing house providers acting on our behalf. They only use this information in relation to our mailings.
- We will disclose your name and email address to a third party provider to manage our email lists and distribute our newsletters. They only use this information in relation to our newsletters. (Please see ‘Who sees your data’ for more information.)
- We will not sell, rent, disclose or assign your personal data to any other external organisation or individual.
Other opportunities to support the National Galleries of Scotland
We will only send you newsletters about these opportunities if you have asked to receive them. Occasionally we may send you mailings through the post about opportunities to support the National Galleries of Scotland’s other fundraising initiatives. We have a legitimate interest in marketing our fundraising campaigns by post to members and donors to increase donations. You can opt out of receiving these fundraising mailings at any time by contacting the Friends Office on [email protected].
Duration of Friends newsletter consent
We will continue to send you Friends newsletters until you unsubscribe, contact the Friends Office to cancel your membership or allow your membership to lapse for more than 6 months. If you unsubscribe from our Friends newsletter lists, we keep a note of this and mark your data as ‘unsubscribed’. You will never be contacted by us in this way again, unless you re-subscribe.
How to unsubscribe from Friends newsletters
You can unsubscribe at any time. Click on the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any Friends newsletter you have received or contact us at [email protected] and put “Unsubscribe" in the email subject line.
Who sees your data
National Galleries of Scotland is responsible for keeping the data we hold about you safe and secure. We use third party providers to distribute our mailings. We use a third party provider to manage our email lists and distribute our newsletters. Our current supplier is Mailchimp, which is based in the US. Mailchimp is signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and National Galleries of Scotland has a data processing agreement with them in place.
Your rights over the data we hold on you
You are in complete control. You can object or withdraw your consent to the use of your personal data at any time. This may mean however, that we are no longer able to provide you with a particular service or communication where the information processing is an integral part of the service. We will tell you if this is likely to be the case. Subject to some legal exceptions, you have the right:
- To access the data we hold about you and to know what we are doing with it
- To have any inaccuracies corrected*
- To have your personal data erased*
- To place a restriction on our processing of your data*
- To object to processing*
- To request your data to be ported (data portability)*
*These rights will come into force on 25 May 2018.
If you want to learn more about these rights, please see the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website www.ico.org.uk
How to contact us about your personal data or this privacy notice
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or about your personal data, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
National Galleries of Scotland
73 Belford Road
Tel: 0131 624 6473
Email: [email protected]
As well as contacting the Data Protection Officer using the details above, you can use our Feedback procedure to make a complaint about the way we process your personal information.