Dusk at Newhaven
The sailing vessel in this photograph is the Robina Inglis. This little boat has a rather interesting story: originally built in 1923 as a fishing boat to work from Newhaven in Edinburgh, at the start of the Second World War she was taken over by the Royal Navy to patrol the southern shore of the Firth of Forth. Towards the end of the war she was reassigned to mine sweeping duties further out into the North Sea. The lighthouse at the end of the pier dates to 1869. It was constructed by James Dove of Edinburgh and made of octagonal cast iron sections.