Who we are
The National Galleries of Scotland comprises three galleries in Edinburgh and two partner galleries in the North and South of Scotland. Our collection of fine art is amongst the best in the world.
The three Edinburgh galleries are:
- Scottish National Gallery
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
In addition, the National Galleries of Scotland owns the Granton Centre for Art, a purpose-built storage facility located at the Granton foreshore in Edinburgh.
The two partner galleries are:
The purpose of the National Galleries of Scotland (NGS) as set out in the governing legislation (the National Heritage (Scotland) Act 1985) is to:
- care for, preserve and add to the objects in our collections;
- ensure that the objects are exhibited to the public;
- ensure that the objects are available to persons seeking to inspect them in connection with study or research; and generally to promote the public’s enjoyment and understanding of the Fine Arts;
- and for those purposes to provide education, instruction and advice and to carry out research.
The National Galleries of Scotland look after one of the world’s finest collections of Western art ranging from the Middle Ages to the present day. These holdings include the national collection of Scottish art which we are proud to display in an international context.
National Galleries of Scotland is a charity registered in Scotland (No. SC003728)
National Galleries of Scotland Foundation is a charity registered in Scotland (No. SC043024)
Board of Trustees Governance
The National Galleries of Scotland is governed by a Board of Trustees. There are up to 12 trustees on the Board at any one time and they are appointed by Scottish Ministers through an open appointments system.
Trustees are appointed for a four year term of office in the first instance and may be offered a second term.
Senior Management Team
The operational management of the National Galleries of Scotland is delegated by the Board of Trustees to the Director-General and his Management Group.
The National Galleries of Scotland Foundation
The National Galleries of Scotland Foundation (the Foundation) was established in March 2012. The Foundation supports the important work of the National Galleries of Scotland and is an independent body for fundraising. All income generated by the Foundation is used to support the work of the Galleries. The Foundation is managed by a Board of Trustees which meets four times a year.