We are excited to welcome you!
Thank you for making a booking to visit the Scottish National Gallery. We are delighted to give you the chance to have your own special experience with the much-loved artworks of the nation’s art collection. If you have visited us before then you will notice that a few things have changed. As well as our timed ticketing system we have taken measures to make sure you have the safest and most enjoyable visit you can. We've put a few new things in place to enhance your experience. Here's the essential, need to know info...
- Your ticket is only valid for the date, time and venue stated. Please check all the information contained is correct. If not, get in touch with us at [email protected]
- Please arrive within 15 minutes of the time stated.
- If you cannot make the slot you have booked then please let us know at the email address above so someone else can have your slot.
- You can print off your ticket (you should recieve that via email not long after booking) and bring it with you or show this email on your mobile phone at the entrance.
- There will be a queuing system in place which is outdoors and uncovered and there is no indoor space for visitors to wait so we suggest arriving as close to your time slot as possible.
- Please meet up with other members of your party before entering the Gallery as there are no designated meeting spaces.
- In line with current Scottish Government advice, we recommend that if you visit our galleries, you do so in groups of less than three households to limit social contact.
- We ask all visitors over 12 years old to bring and wear their own face coverings. Our staff will be wearing face coverings.
- We are adopting the Scottish Government Check In Scotland system. When you arrive for your visit that you will be asked 'check in' all your party members. While this scheme is not mandatory, we are requesting all visitors to take part. More on how we manage your data.
- Although it is not an entry requirement, in line with Scottish Government advice, we would encourage taking a lateral flow test prior to visiting us.
- There may be instances (from 1-31 January) when visitors may have to queue outside or within the gallery space to gain access to view Turner in January. This is to ensure that all visitors are able to view the exhibition safely.
- To allow for artwork rehangs, some rooms may be temporarily closed. See which rooms are closed.
- We have made information about many of the artworks on display available via our free mobile phone app Smartify. Find out more about Smartify.
- The Gallery shop at the Gardens Entrance is open daily, 10am-5pm. The shop is accessible via the Gardens entrance at West Prince Street Gardens. There is no direct access to the Galleries from the Gardens Entrance.
- The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant is open daily, 10am-5pm. Last orders 4pm. Advance booking is recommended. Please note: a booking for admission to the Gallery is not also a booking at the restaurant, that has to be made separately. Book your table here.
- Please use contactless payment for all transactions if possible. Contactless can be used for up to £45 on UK accounts.
- For details on how to get here see our travel info.
- Download your map of the Gallery.
Although it is not an entry requirement, in line with Scottish Government advice, we would encourage taking a lateral flow test prior to visiting us.
We have signed up to Check In Scotland, a voluntary service which enables visitors to quickly and securely provide their contact details to asssist with COVID-19 contact tracing.
We have signed up to the Good to Go scheme to show we are committed to meeting current Scottish Government health and safety standards for our buildings, staff and visitors.
Admission is via a ticketed entry system. Booking is required at the National and Modern Two and recommended at our other galleries. If you have not pre-booked, entry may be available on the day. Ask a member of staff onsite for details.
We have instituted a programme of deep cleaning of the Galleries and will have staff onsite cleaning all touch points throughout the day.
We ask that you maintain physical distancing from others during your visit.
We ask all visitors over the age of 12 to bring and wear a face covering. Our staff will be wearing face coverings.
Hand sanitiser is available in key areas, along with increased cleaning regimes in toilets and other high use areas.
We are admitting visitors coming into our galleries via hourly visitor slots at Portrait and Modern One and 15 minute slots at the National and Modern Two.
If you or anyone you live with displays symptoms associated with COVID-19, please delay your visit until it is safe to do so.
Download Smartify to access our highlights tour, large print labels and get more information about the artworks during your visit.
When visiting us, please limit your group to three households or less.