We are excited to welcome you back!
Thank you for making a booking to visit the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. We are delighted to give you the chance to have your own special experience with the much-loved artworks of the nation’s art collection.
If you have visited us before then you will notice that some things have changed. As well as our timed ticketing system we have taken measures to make sure you have the safest and most enjoyable visit you can. We've put a few new things in place to enhance your experience. Here's the essential, need to know info...
- Your ticket is only valid for the date, time and venue stated. Please check all the information contained is correct. If not, get in touch with us at [email protected]
- Admission will be within 15 minutes of the time stated on your ticket.
- If you cannot make the slot you have booked then please let us know at the email address above so someone else can have your slot.
- The latest Scottish Government guidance does have restrictions on travel and groups. For more information on the local protection levels visit the Scottish Government website. If you are not permitted to travel to Edinburgh and have already booked a ticket to visit us, please contact us at [email protected]
- You can print off the ticket attached and bring it with you or show this email on your mobile phone at the entrance on Queen Street.
- We recommend you arrive no more than 5 minutes before your allotted admission time.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your allotted time we cannot guarantee admission.
- There will be a queuing system in place which is outdoors and uncovered and there is no indoor space for visitors to wait so we suggest arriving as close to your time slot as possible.
- Please meet up with other members of your party before entering the Gallery as there are no designated meeting spaces.
- In line with Government guidelines we ask all visitors over 5 years old to bring and wear their own face coverings. Our staff will be wearing face coverings.
- To enable us to ensure we manage our visitor capacity and physical distancing we are asking that people do not stay longer than one hour. You are, of course, welcome to come back another time for free.
- The ground floor of the Portrait Gallery will be open, including our new display You Are Here. All rooms on the second floor will reopen, including: Remaking of Scotland, Heroes and Heroines, Imagining Power: The Visual Culture of the Jacobite Cause and Reformation to Revolution exhibitions. The Library, Research Centre, the Photography Gallery, and our display The Modern Portrait on the first floor are currently closed.
- We have made information about many of the artworks on display available via our free mobile phone app Smartify. Find out more about Smartify.
- There are no lockers currently available so please avoid bringing large bags or luggage with you.
- The Gallery shop is closed. Our online shop is open and we are offering click and collect facilities.
- Cafe Portrait is open 10am-5pm daily. Last orders is one hour before closing. No booking is required.
- Please use contactless payment for all shop transactions. Contactless can be used for up to £45 on UK accounts.
- Download a map of the gallery
- For details on how to get here see our travel info.