Here are some example questions we’ve used to get children and young people talking about art. Use them in the gallery or in class with the online collection.
Choose any picture, sculpture or art installation and try these prompts to help learners analyse what they see.
- Describe everything you see in the picture, in detail
- Start with things you are sure about
- Is there anything you are not sure about?
- What could it be?
- What does it make you think about?
- Does it remind you of anything?
- What do you wonder about the picture?
- I wonder why...?
- I wonder how...?
- I wonder...?
- How could you find out more about the things you wonder?
- Read the label
- Ask a gallery attendent
- Use your imagination
- Do your own research
Education department contact details
If you're looking for more information on educational services, events and activities, please get in touch with our Education department who will be happy to advise and help plan your group visit.
+44 (0)131 624 6410