Your Art World | Terms and conditions
Accepting these terms and conditions
A parent or legal guardian (over 16 years of age) must read and accept these Terms and Conditions where the child is under the age of 16 before permitting the child to submit entries to Your Art World. 16 to 18-year-olds (young people) may read and accept the Terms and Conditions themselves.
In the case of school entries, it is the responsibility of the school to ensure appropriate permissions are in place before submitting entries.
Terms and conditions of entry
By taking part in Your Art World, each entrant confirms that they (and their parent/ legal guardian if under 16 years) have read, understood and agreed to be bound by, the following rules:
- Your Art World is open to all children/young people living in Scotland, aged from 3 to 18-years-old.
- Entries must be the child’s/young person’s own work.
- Entries must be uploaded via the online entry form by the deadline stated on our website. New Art Challenges with new deadlines will be posted every year and children are invited to upload their responses by the end of the relevant period. Responses to previous challenges can be submitted at any time under the ‘freestyle’ category.
- No entries will be accepted by post.
- A child/young person can enter as an individual and as part of a group.
- All entries will be exhibited digitally (1) on the National Galleries of Scotland website within the Your Art World learning resource pages and (2) biannually on site in a National Galleries of Scotland venue in Edinburgh if received by the deadline given on National Galleries of Scotland website. This exhibition will feature all works on a digital screen, on a rotational basis.
- National Galleries of Scotland reserve the right to remove, or not to exhibit, any work that is deemed by National Galleries of Scotland as unsuitable for any reason. The decision of National Galleries of Scotland shall be final and binding and no correspondence shall be entered into by National Galleries of Scotland.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase is necessary to take part.
- A privacy notice for Your Art World details what data we collect from entrants, what we do with it and how to contact us. Personal data provided will only be used by National Galleries of Scotland in the ways described in these terms and conditions and Your Art World privacy notice.
- Each individual entry must be submitted as a jpeg image file, up to 10MB, a mp3 audio file up to 10 MB, mp4 video file (max 3mins) or word document up to 2 pages. Files must be titled as: child’s/young person’s first name and/or title or category of the work as you wish it to appear on the website. No other personal data should be included in the file name. No changes can be made to file names after submission. Larger files can be submitted by contacting [email protected].
- 11. Written entries should be typed. We cannot guarantee to share hand-written work as it may not be easily accessible to all audiences on our platforms.
- Photographs of children should not be submitted with the image (eg the child/young person should not be visible holding up their work). Artworks may feature photographic or video footage of children/young people only if permissions have been given by all parents/legal guardians and children/young people involved. It is the responsibility of the person uploading the work to check that all necessary consents have been given.
- If entries are submitted by a school, the participating school is responsible for ensuring appropriate permissions have been given for each child/young person, or another lawful basis under data protection legislation applies, before sharing personal data with the National Galleries of Scotland. By entering Your Art World, entrants are confirming that the required consent has been given by each child/young person or their parent/legal guardian, or that another lawful basis applies.
- If a child/young person aged 13 or over is submitting their own work but wishes to provide an adult’s contact details, they must first ask the adult for permission.
- Entrants’ first names and entries will be displayed on the National Galleries of Scotland website, by the third party online gallery provider and may be used in any related exhibition and on National Galleries of Scotland’s social networking sites. An exception to this can be made on request.
- The copyright in any image entered in Your Art World shall (as between the entrant, and National Galleries of Scotland) remain with the entrant but National Galleries of Scotland has the right to use the work in perpetuity throughout the world. National Galleries of Scotland may use your work in any way it sees fit and permit and sub-licence to others the use of the work in any manner, form, or format whatsoever now or hereafter created, including on the Internet, on any form of social media, and in all and any media channels now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world in perpetuity without further liability, payment or acknowledgement to you (and you hereby give NGS all necessary consents and waivers, including waivers of moral rights, for such purposes).
National Galleries of Scotland are not responsible if members of the public take photographs, download or exploit your work in any way.
- Entrants warrant and represent that they own all rights (including without limitation copyright) in entries and that entries do not infringe any third party rights.
- National Galleries of Scotland are not responsible for late, lost or delayed entries.
- Entry to Your Art World shall only be valid if the entrant has complied with these rules.
- National Galleries of Scotland reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time. Revised terms and conditions will be available online. It is your responsibility to keep up to date with any such changes.
- These rules shall be governed by Scots Law and the entrant and NGS agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish Courts.
- From time to time nurseries or schools in Scotland who submit entries to Your Art World online gallery may be selected to receive art materials to the value of £100-125 from a supplier of NGS’s choice.
Selection shall be at the sole discretion of National Galleries of Scotland. Our decision shall be final and binding and no correspondence shall be entered into by National Galleries of Scotland.
The materials are not for resale and there is no cash alternative.
Families or individual children or young people are not eligible to apply.
Selected nurseries and schools will be notified within four weeks of the application deadline.
Awardees may need to set up an account with the relevant supplier.
- From time to time families or individual children/young people in Scotland who submit entries to Your Art World online gallery may be selected to receive a gift of art materials. Selection shall be at the sole discretion of National Galleries of Scotland. Our decision shall be final and binding and no correspondence shall be entered into by National Galleries of Scotland. Selected individuals will receive their gift within four weeks of the deadline given on National Galleries of Scotland website.
Giving consent to process personal data
Once these terms and conditions have been accepted, children aged 13 or over can submit their own entries via the online form and give consent for the personal data to be used as set out in Your Art World privacy notice.
A parent, legal guardian or teacher can make a submission on behalf of a child/young person:
- if the child is under 13
- with the child/young person’s authority if they are 13 or over, or
- if it is in the child/young person’s best interests (eg the child doesn’t fully understand the implications of their data being used but would still like to enter).