Niagara from the American Side, 1858
This oil sketch is painted over an original photograph of Niagara Falls which Church may have purchased at the time of his 1856 visit there. A decade later he used this hybrid image as a preparatory study for the large painting of Niagara Falls that is now in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Gallery.
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution. Gift of Louis P. Church, 1917-4-1350