Alice Strang, Senior Curator, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, discusses this icon of modern Scottish architecture, which opened in Edinburgh in 1940. Funded by the publisher Thomas Nelson Jnr, designed by the architect John A. W. Grant and with friezes on its façade by the sculptor Charles d’Orville Pilkington Jackson, Fountainbridge Library was a state-of-the-art library and community hall, which embodied the most far-sighted concerns of architects, librarians and social policy makers of the inter-war period. Photographs and press coverage recording the progress of this major civic commission show the planning, construction and completion of a library which opened during the blackout and which still serves the community today.
We are currently working on improving our galleries. During this time some rooms will be closed and Some facilities will also be temporarily removed. There will be limited disabled access to some areas
The Publisher, the Architect and the Sculptor: The Building of Fountainbridge Library
Friends of the Galleries get free unlimited entry to all exhibitions, and enjoy a wide range of exclusive benefits including early exhibition access, special events and 10% discount in our cafes.
Browse what's on at the galleries below, or filter results to narrow your search.