Marchmont House is an imposing ‘Grade A’ listed Palladian mansion built in 1750 by Hugh Hume-Campbell, 3rd Earl of Marchmont. Thought to have been designed by William Adam it is possibly the work of the celebrated architect James Gibbs and enacted by Thomas Gibson. Major changes were made at the turn of the century, for the then owner Robert Finnie McEwen, by Sir Robert Lorimer and is perhaps one of the finest examples of his ‘grand’ house refurbishments. Having fallen into disrepair the current owners set about a comprehensive six-year restoration and whilst the core of the house is Georgian, maintaining many of the original features, including period plasterwork by Thomas Clayton, they have embraced the Arts and Crafts movement with areas furnished in the spirit of this movement.
Tea/coffee will be served on arrival followed by a guided tour of the house by curator Francis Raeymaekers. After a light lunch we will travel to Lady Waterford Hall at Ford. Commissioned in 1860 by Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford the building was used as the village school until 1957. In 1862 Lady Waterford began her ‘great experiment’ painting the walls herself, over a period of 21 years, with scenes from the Bible taking as her models the children of the school and their parents. We will be given a short guided tour before returning to Edinburgh.
It is essential to advise us of any dietary intolerances.
The Changing Places toilet is located in the rear car park of Modern One with accessible parking spaces located nearby. The unit is open 9am-5pm, every day, a key is not required.
The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art is located 15 minutes’ walk from Princes Street. It includes two buildings, Modern One and Modern Two, set in a beautiful sculpture park.
Friends of the Galleries get free unlimited entry to all exhibitions, and enjoy a wide range of exclusive benefits including early exhibition access, special events and 10% discount in our cafes.
Browse what's on at the galleries below, or filter results to narrow your search.