Special event Our Friends SOLD OUT

Historic Leith: A Visit to Trinity House and South Leith Parish Church

This event has been cancelled

Trinity House and South Leith Parish Church, Leith Meet at the door of South Leith Parish Church
  • Thursday 30 April, 10.00am-12.30pm
£ 10.00

CANCELLED

This event has been postponed. Ticket holders will be contacted directly. For more information, please contact [email protected]

About

Facing each other across the Kirkgate stand two of Leith's most historic and intriguing buildings, South Leith Parish Church and Trinity House. The Georgian Trinity House was built by Thomas Brown in 1816, on the site of a 16th-century building, for the Incorporation of Mariners and Shipmasters. The building contains a wealth of maritime-related treasures, including Raeburn's portrait of Admiral Duncan and David Scott's masterpiece, Vasco da Gama encountering the Spirit of the Storm.

A guide from Historic Scotland will lead our tour. The first religious building on the site of today's church was St Mary's Chapel, built in the 1480s. In 1544 it became a refuge for Leithers displaced during the "Rough Wooing" attacks, in 1545 George Wishart preached there to a congregation thought to include John Knox and in 1559 Mary of Guise worshipped there. The minister, Rev Iain May, will give us an introduction to the building, its turbulent early history, and its ongoing place in the heart of Leith.

Trinity House, Edinburgh

Our Friends

Our Friends

Friends of the Galleries get free unlimited entry to all exhibitions, and enjoy a wide range of exclusive benefits including early exhibition access, special events and 10% discount in our cafes.

What's on

Browse what's on at the galleries below, or filter results to narrow your search.

What
Where
When
For
or those for:
Custom date
Access options