- Thursday 18 February, 6-6.45pm
The Drawing Room examines the range of possibilities within contemporary drawing practice.
Led by artist Nicola Wiltshire, this session playfully explores collage as an approach to drawing. Combining shapes, pattern and colour, you will create a houseplant-inspired collage using paper, scissors and some simple mark-making.
You will need:
- Black felt pen/marker pen/pencil (optional)
- Your favourite houseplant, or a photo (or you can work from a plant on my screen)
- Patterned paper for pot (magazine/newspaper, wrapping paper, a child's drawing, an old photo, a leaflet)
- Heavy paper or card for base (cereal box, catalogue cover, cardboard box, etc)
- Green paper for leaves, roughly the same size as your base (could be white paper painted green, a greenish advert from a magazine, newspaper coloured in with green pencil, etc. Can be a block colour, or multiple shades)
- Two different colours of paper, roughly the same size as your base (can be plain/patterned as long as the colours work well with the patterned paper for your pot. Bring options if you're not sure)
- Drawing materials of your choice, such as crayons, oil pastels, pencils, felt pens (make sure they work on the paper you've selected for your leaves and background)
- A surface to work on that you don't mind getting messy
A Zoom link and brief will be sent to participants before the session.
Become a Friend to enjoy unique access to the nation’s art collection with unlimited free entry to exhibitions, a 10% discount in our gallery shops & cafés and a bespoke programme of events.
Browse what's on at the galleries below, or filter results to narrow your search.