The ‘Exposition Internationale du Surréalisme’ was held at the Galerie des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1938. It was organized by André Breton, Paul Éluard and Marcel Duchamp. Duchamp produced a radical design, which took the form of a site-specific installation featuring over 200 paintings, sculptures and objects. Visitors passed through a long indoor street lined with shop mannequins, each dressed by an artist or writer, such as this one by Max Ernst. The ceiling of the main hall was hung with Duchamp’s 1200 coal sacks and four beds, one in each corner, brought the world of the Paris brothel to the show. The floor was covered in six inches of sand and autumn leaves. It was dimly lit so visitors used flashlights to view the exhibition. Overall the show was a huge success.