In 1919 Cameron was appointed a member of both the Faculty of Painting and the newly formed Faculty of Engraving of the British School at Rome. This print dates from his trip to Rome in 1923, when he visited the School and its students. The Baths of Caracalla were the second largest complex of baths in ancient Rome, and were built in the 3rd Century AD by Marcus Aurelius Antonius, better known as Caracalla. The Baths or Thermae were an important part of Roman social life and this building must have been staggering in both its size and opulence. In this print (which is one of Cameron’s largest), he concentrates on the massive, gloomy architectural ruins.