Feininger first drew the church at Gelmeroda, a small village near Weimar, in 1906. It became a recurrent motif in his work, featuring in numerous drawings and prints and in thirteen oil paintings ranging in date from 1913 to 1936. Although the church carried a symbolic meaning in Feininger's work, its architectural form also provided the ideal motif for the artist's interest in geometric compositions. This is the third of three Gelmeroda paintings, also dating from 1913. It is a more balanced composition than the first two paintings, which feature a leaning spire cut by sharp Cubist planes.