The Village of Jedburgh, Roxburgh

Reference URL

The Village of Jedburgh, Roxburgh 1800
  • Scottish Art
Girtin depicted the village from a high viewpoint, the site of Jedburgh's former castle. He omitted the famous ruined Abbey, which lies to the right, drawing attention instead to the curved broad street, which leads the eye to the distant river valley. Girtin recorded the gentle afternoon light illuminating the modest thatched cottages and the plumes of smoke from their chimneys in the still air. The restrained hues enhance the tranquil atmosphere of the scene. This watercolour was based on a pencil drawing Girtin made during a brief visit to the Scottish Borders in 1796.

Glossary Open


A paint with colouring and binding agents diluted with water. It has a transparent quality and is usually applied to paper.



  • Acc. No. D 5175
  • Medium Watercolour over pencil on paper
  • Size 30.20 x 52.10 cm (framed: 66.70 x 54.00 x 2.50 cm)
  • Credit Purchased with the aid of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the Art Fund and the Pilgrim Trust 1988