These prints are based on collages made in New York from 1916-17. When framed for their first installation at the Daniel Gallery in 1919, the collages were hinged separately on a revolving stand. The movement of the prints as they were rotated on the stand was therefore similar to a revolving door and produced impressive optical effects. The vividly-coloured collages were not well received by avant-garde collectors, who were more familiar with the subdued palette and lyrical abstract shapes of Cubism. The collages were displayed again in 1926, when a series of 105 prints was made, of which this set is number six. This is the first image from the set of prints and reflects Man Ray’s interest in gesture and movement.