Image not available due to copyright restrictions
The Gargoyles, Stirling Castle 1898
  • Scottish Art
The Palace of Stirling Castle was built by King James V in the mid-sixteenth century. The King had just returned from France and wanted new accommodation to rival what he had seen on the Continent. This etching shows the view along the southern side of the Palace. Cameron concentrated on depicting the ornate fa├žade with its tall grilled windows and grotesque carved figures. These Renaissance sculptures were probably carved by a Frenchman, and would have been an attempt by King James V to replicate the type of work that he has seen at Loches and Blois in France. Today the Palace is considered one of the finest Renaissance buildings in Scotland, and the sculptures are among the best examples of French stone carving in the country.


  • Acc. No. CAMERON.5
  • Medium Etching on paper
  • Size 29.10 x 17.20 cm
  • Credit Provenance unknown