Crathes Castle is situated near Banchory in Kincardineshire. It is built on land that was given to the Burnett family by King Robert the Bruce in 1323. Initially, a wooden fortress was built. However, in 1553 construction began on the magnificent Renaissance castle which stands today. It was not completed until 1596, delayed numerous times due to the turmoil which accompanied Mary, Queen of Scots’ reign. An additional living wing, seen extending to the right of the castle, was added in the eighteenth century. This photograph was taken in or after 1895, when new windows were added throughout.