The following publications and websites offer more information on Scottish Art.
Where this feature has focussed on Scottish Art in the National Galleries of Scotland alone, these publications present a broader analysis of the topic, and provide a good grounding for who intend to study this topic in greater depth.
- Selina Skipwith and Bill Smith, A History of Scottish Art, London, 2003
- Peter McEwan, Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture, London, 1994
- Duncan Macmillan, Painting in Scotland: The Golden Age, London, 1986
- John Morrison, Painting the Nation: Identity and Nationalism in Scottish Painting, 1800-1920, Edinburgh, 2003
- Murdo Macdonald, Scottish Art, London, 2000
- Duncan Macmillan, Scottish Art 1460-2000, Edinburgh, 2000
- Duncan Macmillan, Scottish Art in the Twentieth Century, Edinburgh, 1994
- William Hardie, Scottish Painting: 1837 to the Present, London, 1990