This calotype by Hill and Adamson shows the painter George Harvey. Born in Stirlingshire and educated in Edinburgh, Harvey specialised in scenes inspired by Scottish history. Later in life he became a highly-skilled landscape painter, but many works from this period are now lost. Harvey was one of the original associates of the Scottish Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (later the Royal Scottish Academy) and contributed seven works to its first ever exhibition in 1827. Throughout his life he remained devoted to the interests of the Academy; he served first as its treasurer and from 1864 onwards as its president. Harvey knew David Octavius Hill well, as the latter was secretary of the Academy from 1830 until his death in 1870.