This is one of several photographs used by Charles Lees as a compositional aid for his painting The Golfers of 1847, which is also in the collection of the National Galleries of Scotland. One of the golfers in this calotype is Sir Hugh Playfair, who, as provost of the dilapidated town of St Andrews, initiated its radical transformation in the 1840s. The overhaul included improved leisure opportunities, and Playfair, himself a keen golfer, saved the town’s golf courses from erosion. Fellow golfer Allan Robertson was a third generation ‘featherie’, or golf ball maker and reputedly the best golfer in St Andrew. His pose has been directly copied onto Charles Lees’ painting.