This portrait of John Taylor and his caddy is one of the greatest golfing pictures. It shows Taylor, in his red captain's jacket, about to tee off on the original course of The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers on Leith Links, two miles north-east of the city centre. In 1744 this group (then known as 'the gentlemen golfers') had drawn up the first official rules for a tournament which were to form the basis for the modern game of golf. The club moved to Musselburgh in 1836 and further down the coast to Muirfield at the end of the nineteenth century. Leith Links are now split in two by a road. This is an impressive early work by Sir John Watson Gordon. After Raeburn's death in 1823, Watson Gordon became Scotland's leading portrait painter.