This calotype by David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson shows a group of officers and soldiers from the Royal Artillery. It was taken within the walls of Leith Fort, which was located on North Fort Street in Leith. Built in 1779 by architect James Craig, the fort was used as an army base by the Royal Artillery until the early 1950s, when it was largely demolished. The building in the background of this photograph is the fort’s gatehouse, which incidentally is now the only remaining part of the original structure. This photograph is of particular interest for its slanting use of light, as the camera is nearly pointing into the sun.