Born in Edinburgh and educated at its University, Calder Marshall began studying art at the Trustees’ Academy in 1830. In 1834 he moved to London, training in the studios of Francis Chantrey and Edward Hodges Baily and at the Royal Academy Schools. While in Rome (1836-38), he turned to classical themes such as Hebe Rejected (1837) under the influence of the expatriate British neo-classical sculptors John Gibson and Laurence Macdonald. In 1839 Calder Marshall settled in London where he secured commissions for statues for the House of Lords and architectural sculpture for Burlington House in Piccadilly. Although most highly regarded as a prolific sculptor of poetic subjects, he also executed several major public commemorative works. These included the allegorical group of Agriculture for the Albert Memorial, a seated figure of Edward Jenner now in Kensington Gardens, and a statue of Sir Robert Peel for Manchester. Elected a Royal Academician in 1852, Calder Marshall was appointed a chevalier of the Légion d’Honneur for his commitment to representing British exhibitors at the Paris International Exhibition of 1878. The largest surviving group of his works is at Hospitalfield House, Arbroath, the home of his friend and patron Patrick Allan Fraser.