Thomas Hamilton was a Glasgow-born architect, whose best-known buildings can be found in Edinburgh. These include the Dean Orphan Hospital, now the Dean Gallery, the Royal High School on Calton Hill and the Royal College of Physicians on South Bridge. Hamilton was heavily involved in the 'Edinburgh Improvement Act' and was commissioned to produce two of the great bridges to join the Old and New towns. George IV Bridge was constructed between 1829 and 1834 and the King's Bridge, over King's Stables Road, almost simultaneously. An establishment figure, Hamilton was a founding member of the Royal Scottish Academy.