In 1905, Morris Meredith Williams was appointed Art Master at Fettes College in Edinburgh. He lived in Edinburgh before moving to Devon in 1929, where he stayed until his death. Almost every year between 1906 and 1937 Williams exhibited one or more paintings at the Royal Scottish Academy, his work consisting mainly of landscape and genre-painting. During the 1920s he also exhibited at the Royal Academy in London. In addition to painting, Williams illustrated books and designed church windows. In Edinburgh, he is best known for his drawings of naval and military figures for the frieze of First World War soldiers in the Scottish National War Memorial at Edinburgh Castle. The frieze itself was modelled by his wife, the sculptor (Gertrude) Alice Meredith Williams, whom he married in 1906.