In 1854 under the management of George Swan Nottage the London Stereoscope Company was launched. It changed its name in 1856 and again in 1859, settling on London Stereoscopic and Photographic Company. The company’s popularity peaked in the 1850s when they were a leading producer of stereo views and viewers, with a worldwide network of offices and photographers. As the craze for stereoscopic scenes faded in the 1860s, they evolved to produce cartes de visites. The company ceased production in 1922.