Jean Louis Lemoyne was a pupil of the French sculptor Antoine Coysevox (1640-1720) in Paris, before studying in Bourdaux at the Ecole Académique. He returned to Paris in 1697, and became a member of the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture. He worked on a number of sculpture commissions, including portraits, decorative figures and religious subjects. His early work reflects the flamboyant Baroque manner of his master Coysevox, but he later moved towards a less formal style. He worked extensively at the royal palace of Versailles, and was patronised by the Kings of France.