For years F.H. Evans ran a bookshop in Cheapside where Bernard Shaw and Aubrey Beardsley were among his regular customers. In 1896 he gave that up to devote all his time to photography. Evans made his name professionally as an architectural photographer. He documented many of the great English cathedrals, using long exposure times to create memorable studies of light and shade within architectural space. He became a member of The Linked Ring in 1894 and championed the organisation of works by theme in photographic exhibitions. Old age and new-found interests meant that by 1914 Evans had abandoned photography for good.