Bill Scott was born in Moniaive, Dumfriesshire in 1935. He trained at Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) in the 1950s and afterwards at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. After a brief period of teaching in Fife, in 1961 he returned to Edinburgh where he taught at ECA and eventually became Head of Sculpture from 1990-7. In 1994 Scott was appointed professor of the Faculty of Art and Design at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh. He was chairman of the Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop. As a sculptor himself, Scott often worked on a small scale and used a wide variety of materials including wood, marble bronze, plaster and ceramic. He was President of the Royal Scottish Academy from 2007-12.