Benedetto was the younger brother of the artist known as Paolo Veronese. By 1556 Benedetto had moved from his native Verona to Venice, where he joined his brother and became one of the assistants in his highly successful workshop. The brothers collaborated on large projects such as the ceiling decoration in the church of S. Sebastiano, and later on illustrious commissions in the Doge’s Palace. Benedetto was responsible for some independent works, and from these it is clear that his handling was somewhat heavier than his brother’s more fluid technique. This made Benedetto’s forms appear rather more solid when compared to Veronese’s more lifelike figures.