About this artwork

This watercolour shows Edinburgh's Grassmarket beneath the Castle Hill at the end of the day, as the setting sun casts long shadows and a red glow across the city. The square structure to the right is the Bowfoot Well, a simple ashlar box with a panelled concave pyramid top and a swagged urn finial. Dating from 1681, the Bowfoot Well was one of ten wells that supplied the city with water. It still stands today, but is no longer connected to the water supply. Just behind the well was the site of the public gallows. The whole of the south side of the Grassmarket was eventually pulled down and renovated by the end of the nineteenth century.

  • title:
    Edinburgh Castle and the Grassmarket from Candlemaker Row
  • accession number:
    D 2447
  • artist:
  • gallery:
  • object type:
  • subject:
  • materials:
    Pen, brown ink, watercolour and bodycolour over pencil on paper
  • date created:
    1850
  • measurements:
    22.90 x 33.20 cm
  • credit line:
    William Finlay Watson Bequest 1881

Henry Gibson Duguid

Henry Gibson Duguid