The Interior of the National Gallery of Scotland
About this artwork
Cursiter was the last distinguished Royal Scottish Academician to be appointed Director of the National Galleries, a tradition dating back to the inauguration of the National Gallery (now Scottish National Gallery) in 1859. This is one of a series of studies painted by Cursiter as Director (1930-48), exploring alternative ideas for interior colour schemes and picture hangs. The Corinthian columns and shallow domes designed by Cursiter were removed in 1988, restoring the interior to its original appearance.
- title: The Interior of the National Gallery of Scotland
- accession number: NG 2466 A
- artist: Stanley CursiterScottish (1887 - 1976)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Painting
- materials: Oil on plyboard
- date created: About 1938
- measurements: 40.50 x 30.50 cm (framed: 50.00 x 40.00 x 6.00 cm)
- credit line: Purchased with the aid of the Patrons of the National Galleries of Scotland and the National Art Collections Fund 1987
- copyright: © Estate of Stanley Cursiter. All Rights Reserved, DACS 2017.
Born in Kirkwall, Orkney, Stanley Cursiter was one of Scotland's most prolific twentieth-century painters as well as being a writer and curator. He was one of the first students of the newly-opened Edinburgh College of Art and played an important role in introducing Post-Impressionism and Futurism to Scotland. He was appointed Director of the National Galleries of Scotland in 1930 and King's Limner for Scotland in 1948. Cursiter initiated the campaign to create a Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.