About this artwork

This fragment once formed the lower left part of an arched altarpiece painted by Veronese around 1563 for the Petrobelli family chapel in the church of San Francesco in Lendinara, near Rovigo. The huge painting was cut up for sale in 1788-9. Two other large fragments survive, showing the Dead Christ with Angels (National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa) and St Jerome with the Donor, Girolamo Petrobelli (Dulwich Picture Gallery, London). Parts of a wing, an arm with a spear, and a devil visible at the right of this canvas originally belonged to a central figure of the Archangel Michael, to whom the chapel was dedicated. The head of this figure has recently been identified in the Blanton Museum of Art, Austin, Texas. A major change to the position of St Anthony’s head is now detectable between the columns.

  • title:
    Saint Anthony Abbot as Patron of a Kneeling Donor
  • accession number:
    NG 1139
  • artist:
  • gallery:
  • object type:
  • subject:
  • glossary:
  • materials:
    Oil on canvas
  • date created:
    Probably after 1570
  • measurements:
    198.50 x 117.80 cm (framed: 230.20 x 154.80 x 14.40 cm)
  • credit line:
    Purchased 1913
  • photographer:
    Antonia Reeve

Paolo Veronese (Caliari)

Paolo Veronese (Caliari)