About this artwork

This depiction of Taymouth Castle, as seen from the south, combines a bird’s-eye view with a detailed depiction of the ground plan of the recently landscaped gardens. The estate belonged to the Campbells of Glenorchy (the Earls of Breadalbane). The artist was a friend of the celebrated architect William Adam who designed the gardens. The picture was updated in 1739 by another artist, John Griffier II, who repainted parts of it to reflect later alterations to the landscape.

  • title:
    Taymouth Castle (View of Taymouth Castle from the south)
  • accession number:
    PG 2359
  • artists:
  • gallery:
  • object type:
  • subject:
  • materials:
    Oil on canvas
  • date created:
    begun 1733 and repainted 1739
  • measurements:
    66.00 x 133.00 cm (framed: 84.70 x 154.00 x 6.00 cm)
  • credit line:
    Purchased 1976
  • photographer:
    Antonia Reeve

Jan Griffier

James Norie

Jan Griffier

James Norie