Innocenzo Spinazzi

The Venus de' Medici

About this artwork

This is a copy, with some variations, of the Medici Venus in the Tribuna of the Uffizi in Florence, one of the most admired of all classical statues. An inscription on the base specifies that it was carved by Spinazzi in Florence in 1784. It was purchased by the English Grand Tourist Jonas Brooke of Mere Hall, Cheshire. Spinazzi was called from Rome to Florence in 1769 to work on the restoration of the antique group of Niobe and her Children, and was named official sculptor to Grand Duke Leopoldo de’ Medici the following year.