About this artwork

Surgeon William Inglis was best known as a keen member of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, the oldest golf club in the world. Allan, a member of the same golf club, shows Inglis and his caddy on Leith Links, about two miles from the city centre, where the club was then located (it's now based at Muirfield in East Lothian). Behind Inglis, the annual trophy presented by the City - a golf club with silver balls attached - is being paraded across the Links.

  • title:
    William Inglis, c 1712 - 1792. Surgeon and Captain of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers
  • accession number:
    PG 1971
  • artist:
  • depicted:
  • gallery:
  • object type:
  • subject:
  • materials:
    Oil on canvas
  • date created:
    1787
  • measurements:
    129.50 x 105.10 cm
  • credit line:
    Purchased 1961
  • photographer:
    Antonia Reeve

David Allan

David Allan

Allan was born in Alloa, on the River Forth, and attended the Foulis Academy in Glasgow for seven years. In 1767 he moved to Rome, where he lived for ten years; this was the most successful period of his life. In Rome, Allan painted ambitious historical pictures, portraits, caricatures and genre scenes. On returning to London in 1777, he spent two years trying to establish himself. Unsuccessful and ill, he returned to Scotland where he specialised in painting family groups. He also produced book illustrations and was appointed the master of the Trustees' Academy at Edinburgh.