About this artwork

This group shows Emma and Julia, the two youngest daughters of Lady Charlotte Campbell, sister of the Duke of Argyll, and her first husband Colonel John Campbell of Shawfield. Bartolini described the girls as ‘dancing a waltz’, an action skilfully conveyed by their graceful, tip-toe poses and gently wafting draperies. Commissioned by their elder brother, the finished marble was shipped from Livorno to Edinburgh, and was installed in the dining room at Inveraray Castle, the seat of the Dukes of Argyll. The base is inscribed with a dedication to the English sculptor John Flaxman, whose engravings of Homeric subjects Bartolini greatly admired. This is the most important piece of Italian sculpture carved for a Scottish patron in the nineteenth century.

  • title:
    The Campbell Sisters dancing a Waltz
  • accession number:
    NG 2876
  • artist:
    Lorenzo BartoliniItalian (1777 - 1850)
  • gallery:
  • object type:
  • materials:
    Marble
  • date created:
    1821 - 1822
  • measurements:
    Height: 170 cm; plinth height: 92 cm
  • credit line:
    Purchased jointly by the National Galleries of Scotland and the Victoria and Albert Museum, with the aid of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the Art Fund (with a contribution from the Wolfson Foundation), and a donation in memory of A. V. B. Norman, 2015

Lorenzo Bartolini

Lorenzo Bartolini