About this artwork

This grand panorama combines Nasmyth's atmospheric treatment of the sky and distant features with great topographical accuracy. The view of Princes Street looking east contrasts the New Town buildings on the left with the Old Town on the right, crowned by the distinctive open spire of St Giles Cathedral. In the distance, Arthur's Seat and The Nelson Monument on Calton Hill punctuate the skyline. One of Edinburgh's finest buildings devoted to the arts is under construction in the foreground. The Royal Institution, later home to the Royal Scottish Academy, was designed by William Henry Playfair and opened in 1826. Now known as the Royal Scottish Academy Building, it is owned and administered by the National Galleries of Scotland and is the city's main exhibition venue.

Alexander Nasmyth

Alexander Nasmyth