About this artwork
- title: Wittgenstein in New York. From As is when
- accession number: GMA 4366 K
- artist: Eduardo PaolozziScottish (1924 - 2005)
- gallery: In Storage
- object type: Work on paper
- materials: Screenprint on paper
- date created: 1964
- measurements: 76.50 x 66.00 cm
- credit line: Purchased 2001
- copyright: © Trustees of the Paolozzi Foundation, Licensed by DACS 2016.
- photographer: Antonia Reeve
Of Italian descent, Paolozzi was born in Leith near Edinburgh. He studied in Edinburgh and London and spent two years in Paris from 1947, where he produced enigmatic, bronze sculptures reminiscent of those by Giacometti. During the same period he made a series of dada and surrealist-inspired collages in which magazine advertisements, cartoons and machine parts are combined, thus anticipating the concerns of Pop Art. Alongside teaching at various art schools he developed his printmaking and sculpture. Paolozzi was particularly interested in the mass media and in science and technology.