The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art is founded and opened to the public in August at Inverleith House in Edinburgh's Royal Botanic Garden. All but a few of the National Gallery's paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings dating from after 1900 are moved to the new location. The vast majority of objects in the gallery’s collection today, however, were acquired after 1960.
Five new small galleries at the south end of the National Gallery are created by building an upper floor. The space is in part created to house the great Maitland collection of French late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century paintings, including works by Monet and Van Gogh.
A further suite of galleries is opened, this time beneath the ground floor of the south end of the National Gallery, to house the Gallery's Scottish Collection and also provide room for facilities such as a Print Room, Library and Picture Store.