Paxton House is situated on the banks of the River Tweed, near Berwick-upon-Tweed. Designed by John and James Adam in 1758, it is perhaps the finest example of an eighteenth-century Palladian country house in Britain and contains a pre-eminent collection of Chippendale furniture. In 1811, the Edinburgh architect Robert Reid added the largest purpose-built picture gallery in a Scottish country house.
Today, this gallery focuses on British art from 1760 to 1840, taken from the National Galleries of Scotland’s collection and containing works by Raeburn, Wilkie and Lawrence, among others. There is a shop and tea room for visitors.
The house lies at the centre of eighty acres of accessible gardens, woodland and parkland. Nearby, the newly restored Victorian boathouse and salmon fishing museum have been reinstated as a feature on the river. Picnic areas, animal observation hides and an adventure playground have been provided for family visitors.
16 March – 3 November 2012: daily (Tearoom and Shop) 10am-5pm
House Tours: 11am-3.30pm Grounds: 10am-Sunset
Admission to House and Grounds:
Admission to Grounds only:
Special rates for groups of 12 or more
By car: Paxton House is signposted three miles from the A1 Berwick-upon-Tweed bypass on the B6461.
By train: Berwick on the East Coast Main Line.
By bus: 32 bus from Berwick, daily except Sunday.