Standing adjacent to the ancient royal burgh of Banff in the North of Scotland, Duff House is a magnificent example of baroque architecture. It was designed by William Adam in 1735 for William Duff and since then has been used as a family house, hotel, sanatorium and prisoner-of-war camp.
Following extensive restoration, the house was re-opened in 1995 as a five-star country house and gallery, run in partnership by Aberdeenshire Council, Historic Scotland and the National Galleries of Scotland.
As part of its commitment, the National Galleries provides most of the house’s artworks, opening up Scotland’s national collection of fine art to new audiences. Highlights include works by El Greco, Gainsborough and Raeburn. The building also houses the Dunimarle Library, a rare collection of over 4,000 volumes, which can be viewed by appointment. There is a tea room and shop on ground-floor level (to which admission is free), as well as temporary exhibitions by visiting artists and societies.
Duff House offers a range of access provisions. A lift to gallery floors is available and wheelchairs can be provided on request. Induction loops for the hard hearing are available.
The extensive grounds of the house provide walks along the River Deveron and also feature the gothic mausoleum of the Duff family.
1 April-31 October: daily 11am-5pm
1 November-31 March: Thursday-Sunday 11am-4pm
Closed 25 and 26 December, and 1 and 2 January
Admission to galleries:
Friends of Historic Scotland and/or National Galleries of Scotland: free
Admission to shop and tea room on the ground floor is free.
By car: Duff House is signposted on the outskirts of Banff, a town reached from Aberdeen by the A947.
By bus: The 305 bus runs to Banff from Aberdeen bus station.