The 1950s saw Nicholson produce numerous paintings based on still lifes, but towards the end of the decade he returned to making reliefs. In 1958 Nicholson and his third wife Felicitas Vogler left St Ives and moved to the village of Ronco, Switzerland. Like many of his reliefs of this time, although abstract, they are informed by both still lifes and landscapes, often in ambivalent ways. Here, the formal composition can be seen as resembling a table-top viewed from above. Yet the colour scheme with its earthy grey and ocean blue, alongside the acknowledgement of a place in the title, call to mind the outdoors. There are also similarities to the work of the constructivists whom Nicholson knew, in the balancing of the circles and rectangular elements along a vertical axis.