Prince James receiving his son, Prince Henry, in front of the Palazzo del Re
Share

Reference URL

Prince James receiving his son, Prince Henry, in front of the Palazzo del Re About 1747-1748

On Display PORTRAIT GALLERY

  • Scottish Art
The Palazzo del Re was home to the exiled Jacobite court in Rome. Owned by the Muti family, it was rented by the Papacy for the Old Pretender, James Francis Edward Stuart. Both James's sons, Charles Edward ('Bonnie Prince Charlie') and Henry Benedict, were born in the palace. The event depicted here is a celebration organised in honour of Henry's appointment as cardinal deacon on 3 July 1747. James, wearing the blue sash of the Order of the Garter, is shown greeting his younger son, who is dressed in the black coat, scarlet stockings and shoes with red heels often worn by cardinals in the eighteenth century. The palace itself has been lavishly 'dressed' with temporary architectural decoration, somewhat like a theatre set.

Glossary Open

Jacobite

Jacobitism was a movement to restore the descendants of the Stuart King James VII and II to the British throne. The first claimant, Prince James Francis Edward (known as 'the Old Pretender') was exiled first in France, then Italy, from where he planned unsuccessful attempts to claim the throne. His son Prince Charles Edward (known as 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' or 'the Young Pretender') famously invaded Britain in 1745, but after some military successes was finally defeated at Culloden in 1746.

Order of the Garter

The most senior British Order of Chivalry, founded by Edward III in 1348. It now consists of 24 knights along with royal knights and some foreign monarchs. The badge of the order comprises the St George's Cross within a blue garter (the original emblem of the order), surrounded by radiating silver beams.

Jacobite, Order of the Garter

Details

  • Acc. No. PG 3269
  • Medium Oil on canvas
  • Size 195.58 x 297.18 cm (framed: 225.5 x 326.5 x 11.00 cm)
  • Credit Purchased with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Art Fund 2001